Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Sanitary pad anyone?

This happened almost a month back but I think it's still worth a mention. Based on mere fact that this has got to be the most freakish thing that had ever happened to me.

I was going on my rounds to visit the doctors as per my usual routine by my usual hardworking self. (Just in case, in the most 'randomest' of chance, my boss is a fan of this blog :p) I went into a clinic in Jurong and as the doctor was not there yet, I started chatting with the nurse. Then a guy in his late teens to early 20s, walked into the clinic and sat down. Thinking that I was in his way because I was hogging the registration counter, I turned around and offered my space to him. But he declined and then suddenly walk out of the clinic.

Both the nurse and I looked at each other puzzled and then started teasing each other that he was a secret admirer. And seeing that the doctor still hasn't reach, I offered to go to my car and bring her some patients' brochures.

The moment I retrieved what I wanted and locked the doors, I saw that guy again hovering opposite the road and looking at me. He looked like he's from China (no offense), behaving furtively and was slightly unkempt. I had to walk pass him to get to my destination but I doggedly tried to keep a distance between us.

Just when I was about to heave a sigh of relief, he called out to me and said he needed help. He spoke in halting English and asked if I am a nurse, to which I replied 'no' (although theoretically I am one). He then went on to say that his sister is having menses and if I could spare him a pad. A SANITARY PAD??!!? I mean what was he thinking?! I was so overwhelmed by the absurdity of his request, that for a moment I was at a loss for words (which very rarely happen to me) and could only stare at him incredulously with my mouth agape.

When I found my voice, I gave him a curt 'no' and attempted to flee as fast as I can. However, he managed to stop me again and this time asked me to help him buy sanitary pad instead. I told him to go get it himself and finally escaped.

I felt quite bad after that because what if he was genuine and really needed help? But then again, why me?? It's just so freakingly warped.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...