Friday, April 18, 2008

My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult

SYNOPSIS
Anna is not sick, but she might as well be. By age thirteen, she has undergone countless surgeries, transfusions, and shots so that her older sister, Kate, can somehow fight the leukemia that has plagued her since childhood. The product of preimplantation genetic diagnosis, Anna was conceived as a bone marrow match for Kate - a life and a role that she has never questioned… until now. Like most teenagers, Anna is beginning to question who she truly is. But unlike most teenagers, she has always been defined in terms of her sister - and so Anna makes a decision that for most would be unthinkable… a decision that will tear her family apart and have perhaps fatal consequences for the sister she loves. My Sister's Keeper examines what it means to be a good parent, a good sister, a good person. Is it morally correct to do whatever it takes to save a child's life… even if that means infringing upon the rights of another? Is it worth trying to discover who you really are, if that quest makes you like yourself less?




MY RATING (4 OUT OF 5 STARS)

This book is just so freaking sad! I think I had never cried like that for a book or a film in a long time.

The thing I love about Jodi Picoult is that her novels are mostly about some of the most controversial topics in life. The whites, the greys and the blacks; I would debate within myself and then try decide which is which. Most of my attempts are usually futile though.

The book starts a tad too slowly for my liking but it builds up towards the end and more than makes up for it. The twist at the end was totally unexpected and I applaud her for it. Gosh ..... the ending had me gutted. It brought heart-wrenching sobs from me as I devoured the last few chapters. I wish I had a little more time to cry for the characters after I put down the book but a pity, situation doesn't allow. How I wish at times, I can dictate my own timing, live life at a leisurely pace and pause when I want to. *wistful* (oops, going out of point here.)

A definite tear jerker.

4 comments:

  1. So far the book has been pretty good. I would have to say that out of all the books I have read it has to be my favorite so far. It hadn't been at all boring. The part I liked the most was when Anna's mom was tring to convince her to give up the lawsuit. I I think it was very bold of Anna to stand up to her mom for what she believes in. My favorite character in the book so far is Jessie. He is my favorite because he is very adventerous and daring. This is how I feel about the book so far.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was very shocked when Anna's dad said that he was going to take the stand for Anna. I thought that since her mom didn't approve of what she was doing that her dad wouldn't either, but that wasn't the case at all. Anna's father seems to be very understanding, unlike her mother. Her mother seems to be thinking very one sided and not seeing it from Anna's view. I think that she cares about all of her children, but it just seems like she loves Kate more because she is always worrying about Kate's health. I just feel that Anna's mother needs to understand why Anna feels the way she does.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So I just finished the part where Kate meets Taylor. It was a very sweet part in the book. (: It was sweet that he saw her for her and nothing more and that he could just joke around with her. I thought it was funny that Kate was stressing out about what she was going to wear because for this part of the book she actually seemed like she was living a normal life. But I thought it was very sad when Taylor died and that he died like right after there prom. :\.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Wilson, so have you finished the book yet? I hope it didn't disappoint you, the way it ended. I have read the reviews on amazon & it was split into 2 groups, 1 hated the ending & of course the other loved it.

    I belonged to the group that loved it :D It was so totally unpredictable! Hee ..... but just in case you haven't finished the book, I shan't spoil it for you. Tell me what you think about the ending ;)

    And I too think that the part about Taylor & Kate was really sweet as well. Poor Jessie had to think about dying the whole time & so it must be really sad to see someone she loves, to die before she does.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...